Monday, March 28, 2011

Uneducated Youth

I am not sure if many or any of you read the book written by Dr. Carter G. Woodson entitled, "The MisEducated Negro". Which questions 'Has the Negro been miseducated?'. The poignant words of Woodson still resonate in the African American communities through the United States. I'm not going to focus this topic on the book, however, I will discuss briefly the unbelievable illiteracy issues in the African American culture.

After being a faithful member of the social network, Facebook, for over six years I've grown to understand that the illiteracy rates are at an all time high. (Check out a few statuses from your friends list.) Especially, throughout the public schools system. The value of an education is not taken seriously and seems to be disregarded amongst my peers and many others in various age brackets. Looking at statistics is one thing, but viewing reality is another. The thoughts of young African Americans not taking the educational system serious devastates me. As an young adult I have witnessed on several accounts kids skipping school, leaving school early to hang out with their friends, destroy their brain cells with drug use, and asleep while sitting in class.

A few years back at a local public school on the west side of Chicago, I sat amongst a group of "educators". Neither of them were giving a lesson. At the time the students were supposed to be preparing for an upcoming state exam. They all sat gossiping about fellow co-workers and some students. One even blatantly stated, "I'm calling off tomorrow, I don't care about this fucking test. They can all fail for all I care." *I could not believe what I had just heard. I not only felt sympathy for the students, but, also for the public school system as a whole. I could not help but wonder, how many other educators are just there for the money?.

There was a time when our ancestors fought to attend school and some marched for an equality in education. Many had to secretly be taught how to read and write behind closed doors so their masters would not find out. Now present day its a different story. Students are unable to structure a sentence using proper grammar. Taking Pre-Calculus is considered an honors class. Students do not respect, nor, obey their teachers and other school staff. Parents are not actively involved in their child's education. Money is spent on the beautification of the campus and sports, instead on textbooks and other necessary supplies. Test scores are significantly lower than students of other cultures.

Whose to blame for the high illiteracy issues? I personally would blame everyone; parents, students, and the educators. These kids are our future and will be running the world and caring for us one day. Will you step up and help them out or will you sit back and watch them fail at life?

*Note: As an result of the schools low test score, all administrative staff and all teachers were relieved of there duties. The public school board hired all new educators; from the principal down to new P.E. teachers.

No comments: